In the MId 2000's we introduced the RCA Hysteer that took 1 turn out of the lock to lock and increased steering angle, and response. Our original "Hysteer knuckle" worked extremely well with stock Ackerman and dual tie rod connections to quickly switch between settings. We ran quite a few of them and they were expensive to machine given they were made from P20 Mould steel. We resisted making more parts once we ran out because we knew we needed to add features but reduce the price. We came up with something that we feel is a big step forward and allows us more more flexibility to customize steering geometry for special vehicle setups if needed.
In 2008, we supported Nik Romano in his efforts for an NASA ST5 National Championship, and among the key components to his victory were these knuckles. See more parts that were used on his vehicle here.
ROAD RACE Spec, Made for the track, these knuckles are a complete game-changer when it comes to the primary steering interface on the vehicle. We took our old geometry and enhanced it to be race-specific and add support where needed. We added clearance to the steering lock, which previously stopped at the sway endlink bolt. We created a completely serviceable oversized spherical ball joint with a 1-piece Chromoly stud to add strength and performance to this critical connection under the high lateral loads of racing. The final and perhaps most important ingredient was the steering attachment. The factory tie rod end uses a tapered end which is great for ball joints, but in the sport of road racing, rod ends provide much higher loads and therefore have to be adapted to the taper. With this new setup, we found that it was most important to offer an option for a high sheer shoulder bolt as a steering connection since the added leverage and lateral loads of track use demand it. The result is the most optioned, most integrated steering knuckle available for the IS/Altezza and JZX chassis.
- Laser-cut laminated Carbon steel plate with welded bearing cup
- integrated 1" steering RCA meaning we lower the steering pickup without changing ride height like a standard RCA spacer. That means LS400 brakes will fit without RCA spacers.
- Enhances factory rack travel by reducing lock to lock by 1 full turn. Increases steering angle by 10 degrees.
- Optional RCA spacers for 10mm drop or stock ride height option.
- Class 10.8 Metric Socket Cap bolts.
- OUTER TIE RODS: Factory outer tie rod, or FIGS outer tie rods.
- FIGS outer tie rods are available as taper studs with drop spacers or over-sized shoulder bolts with drop spacers. The more bump steer correction, the longer the shoulder bolt the more stainless spacers are added. This is the level out the tie rod at static ride height.
- IS300 and GS geometries: GS adds more knuckle trail to assist in self-steer response while also reducing caster for more fwd bite.
Torque to factory specs (85ft-lbs) and for off-road use only. We strongly suggest monitoring bolt torque the first few hundred miles. Clear threads in spindle if possible as we use the most thread we can. We suggest clearing out the threads with a wire brush or solvent or both.
STEERING KNUCKLE RCA HYSTEER II : ROAD RACE SPEC GS SC430
- Brand: FIGS Engineering
- Product Code: HYSTEERII-RRSPEC1-2GS
- Availability: MTO 2 Week Build Time